At Redbud Dental in Edmond OK, we find teeth endlessly fascinating. Since we’re a dental practice, that probably doesn’t surprise you. But think about it: while we use them every day to smile and eat, there is more to our teeth than meets the eye.
Here are fifteen things you might not know about teeth.
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as vital as your teeth.
- Some prescription drugs can increase your risk of tooth decay.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of children between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated cavities.
- Heartburn can be damaging for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as adverse for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab.
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
At Redbud Dental in Edmond OK, we want all of our patients to have clean and healthy teeth, along with beautiful smiles. Our services include family and restorative dentistry. Schedule your next cleaning and checkup with us today!
Contact Redbud Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):